Friday, November 11, 2011

Allow me to write and represent about the following topic....

Writing this is somewhat like a picture within a picture, or a movie within a movie. The medium is also the topic as I dive in to writing and representing some thoughts on writing and representing. It's a little distracting at first, and there is perhaps a tad bit of extra pressure felt - but I must press on.

I can't help but feel pretty passionate about teaching students about writing and representing. It's something I've always embraced, from spelling tests to creative writing and keeping journals or blogs for as long as I can remember. I'm a natural stickler for grammar and adore the way certain people can play with language and keep me entertained. I like to think it's an appreciation I was born with, as I can't recall a particularly inspiring teacher in my early years. I checked with my Mom, and she backs me up on this one, by the way.

In an attempt to be one of those teachers that can inspire, I think it's important to encourage great writing by exploring it as a creative outlet, underlining its relevance to the world outside the classroom walls and letting my students know it's not easy, and there's no magic recipe we can follow.

For some students, writing has the chance to become their creative outlet and means of expression through song lyrics, poetry, journal entries or editorials. For the student in Love that Dog, this was a surprising discovery. Something that was first approached with hesitance and uncertainty became a personal or public outlet for that student's feelings and ideas. That can be a powerful thing for students in middle years as they face personal challenges, internal struggles and a whole whack of emotions that they're not sure what to do with. Tapping in to writing and representing as a means of organizing their thoughts could make a real difference in their every day lives. How many times have you heard it suggested that when you're really angry with someone, you should write them a letter - and that the very act of writing that letter could be enough to calm you down, and make you feel better. Writing can be a powerful outlet for all of the ideas, problems and social pressures that life throws at you.

The IRP's suggest that our students should be using writing and representing to express, extend and analyze thinking. Until I became an adult in the workplace, I had no idea how important this skill was and what the implications could be if I didn't know how to do it. This is real-life, game-changing stuff. Our class discussion touched on this idea, and there were some conflicting opinions about the number of professions that required these kind of skills. I would really have to think hard to make a list of lifestyles that don't require some amount of writing. The prevalence of email has made writing skills more indispensable, and I am sure many people working today wouldn't be in as high a position if they applied for a job in today's market. If you can't write an email that considers your audience, expresses your ideas concisely and clearly and can persuade when necessary, you will not have much success in procuring a position - never mind holding it. This became clear to me when I had to sift through over 550 applications for one position at my previous workplace. It's also affected my confidence level in co-workers and undoubtedly affects how I feel about new friends and, let's be honest, potential suitors. Often writing is your first impression, and it's always a lasting one if it's not up to par.

While students may see the potential in creative writing and might even grasp the importance of it, they often become easily frustrated by getting it right. Even though I care about what I'm writing right now, it's still a struggle to type out and it takes effort to express myself clearly, synthesize what I learned through our class readings and discussion with my opinions, and then work on matching that up with the rubric for this assignment. It's easy to focus on getting it "right" in terms of what that teacher or rubric is expecting of you. Writing is a juggling act, and it's nothing like learning to make a cake or make a 3 pointer. It's just not easy, even for the professionals. Robin Stevenson confirmed this when she came in and visited our class several weeks ago. It's something your teachers always tell you, but there is something about hearing from someone whose paycheque depends on it. I think it's important for students to learn from authors themselves - and while we're at it, why not bring in employers too? I also think that writing with your students, something that Nancie Atwell encourages, is an invaluable activity. When they understand that good writing is not a one-shot talent but a skill to be developed, perhaps they won't put so much pressure on themselves to write that perfect first draft, or check it off as something on their "To-do" list. It's important to show them that everyone uses writing, and everyone revises their writing, gets stuck with their writing, and has the capability to write really good things and really bad things all in the same day.

My case for what is important to teach students about writing and representing is optimistic, and I'm okay with that. I know I'll do my best to avoid what Page experienced in her post-elementary years, as it's something I experienced myself. It's easy to get caught up in the rubrics, in writing for your teacher's taste and not your own, and equating the written word to academic success and nothing else. I believe that if students can latch on to writing as a creative outlet, and as a means of social and professional success that I will have done something good.

No comments:

Post a Comment